Wednesday 16 February 2011

Who is Mr. Gay Hong Kong?

Hello, Friends!

It'd be terrific to wake up in all your morning glory and be instantly ready for public consumption - dragon breath, pillow hair, crusty eyes and all.

I'm tempted to say that my boy, Heihei, is one such gay creature who escapes "production" before I march him out for any public appearance. Truth is, I don't know Heihei that intimately. I've come to know him as a friend since he won the Mr. Gay Hong Kong title on 26 November 2011. He has been an absolute treat to work with - a real sunshine boy.

Mr. Gay Hong Kong began in 2009. Rick Twombley, a beefy American-born Tin Shui Wai resident, won the title. The Grand Finale sold out two weeks prior. The Lan Kwai Fong Beer Bar (so gay) was jampacked. The legendary Colette Koo and multi-awarded media personality, Brian Leung, hosted the show. Superstar drag queen, La Chiquitta, had the audience in stitches. It was a roaring success.

There was plenty of internet backlash against Rick's victory. I was confused because, in my naiveté, I assumed that any result would be welcomed with Hallelujah's. My co-producer, Noel, was from the any-publicity-is-good-publicity school of thought. But I was angry that what some people perceived as a negative result seemed to overshadow the effort that was put into getting the competition up on its feet, in the first place, for the very first time.

I knew then that I had a whole lot of growing up left to do.

Rick had more maturity than I ever would have had, had I been in his place. He proceeded to finish third in Mr. Gay World, along the way picking up Best in National Costume and a joint Congeniality award. Rick's National Costume would resurface at the Grand Finale of Mr. Gay Hong Kong 2010 and fetch HK$20,000 in an auction for Tongzhi Tsai, the campaign against homophobic bullying in Hong Kong schools.

As Van Tengga was shooting Heihei's portfolio for Mr. Gay World 2011, I couldn't help but feel a tinge of envy. I've always had dreams of becoming a star. And yet, here I am - the self anointed "Executive Producer" of Mr. Gay Hong Kong - a... star maker? 

What seperates men like Rick and boys like Heihei from a guy like me is, they've got the terrific amount of courage required to get up onstage, lay themselves bare to public scrutiny, and be somebody whom people would find worth their while. I'm chickenshit. I've always felt more content throwing my two cents from the secure fringes of the peanut gallery. In fact, that makes me not much different from the guys who reacted violently to Rick's victory.

I've got so much more growing up left to do.

I've got so much more waking up left to do.

Thankfully, it isn't I who require support; I've conveniently counted myself out of the running.

Heihei Yau is Mr. Gay Hong Kong.

He soon leaves to compete for the title of Mr. Gay World.

The Grand Finale is in Manila.

You can bet your sweet ass, it's gonna be a production.


With Affection,
James


Photobucket
Photo by Van Tengga

3 comments:

eidref102 said...

Good luck to him, We need a major major asian on the top 5 ala Venus Raj!

Unknown said...

hello ando!

James Gannaban said...

thanks for the well wishes, guys! spread the love; vote for heihei!

http://www.mrgayworld.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22%3Ahong-kong&catid=1%3Adelegates-slider