Wednesday 27 April 2011

Chocolate & Port

Hello, Friends!

You know how, sometimes, something sounds so incredible that you don't dare believe it 'til you've actually lived through it? Like winning the Mark 6. Or getting a booking at Noma.

When I received the joint invite from the Consulates of Belgium and Portugal, I wondered how they even got my contact, in the first place. I mean, sure, I've attended my share of glam events before, but this invitation was beyond glam. It was... consular. Proper. It had royal seals, that sort of thing. Plus, it was a food-and-wine event that pairs chocolate and port. What more do you need?

You know how, sometimes, you get an email from a distraught African housewife asking for your bank account number so she can "quickly and quietly" transfer millions to you that her dead husband has been able to squirrel away from some autocratic despot?

At my core, I'm still just a boy from Tuguegarao. Easily impressed. Goats and carabaos and chickens freely roamed my village whilst we, children, played with sticks and stones on dirt paths. The snazziest affair we ever looked forward to was Easter, when the good Archbishop would come out in his best frock to bless his flock. So an invite to a consular affair wasn't only important; until recently, it was also improbable.

I mean, Belgian chocolate? And Portuguese port? I could very well have been a savage invited to the court of Queen Isabella during the time of Christopher Columbus! Except I would have probably wanted to BE Queen Isabella, which would have compelled her to have me killed at once. So, no way in the world I was gonna miss this one.     

The chocolatier is Goosens and the vintner is Sandeman. The event was held at the steel-and-glass penthouse of Club Lusitano, so we had all of Hong Kong at our feet whilst we nibbled on exquisite chocolate truffles and sipped a heady 20 year old port, among others.

The best part of it all?

Goody bags.

I happily shared my takeaway at the Fruits in Suits gathering that very same evening. Richard, Edo and myself scarfed down the precious, few pieces of chocolates and greedily swigged on the mini-bottle of port.

From refinement to rabid enjoyment? What's the difference?

It's pleasure, just the same.

With Affection,
James

 

Photobucket
The Honourable Consuls of Belgium & Portugal

Photobucket
Chocolate sculpture by the founder of Goosens

Photobucket
The buffet of goodies

Photobucket
The raw material

Photobucket
The trade route

Photobucket
The moulds and the whimsical creations

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Sunee LaClaire with a piece of champagne filled chocolate

Photobucket
Peanut butter cups topped with macadamia. OMG x 100.

Photobucket
Asia's Most Hyperactive Gay Boy™ with PolCham Chairwoman Anna Adasiewicz - and the headline-grabbing 20-year old port

Photobucket
There were precious, few pieces of chocolate truffles. Anna, Sunee and I were lucky enough to each have been given a piece by the host.

No comments: