Monday 27 June 2011

Hong Kong is Pink

Hello, Friends!

I'm always delirious and (nearly) delusional, anyway. But that particular morning, I was simply delirious with fever.

"Am I gonna die?" I croaked as I shivered like a wet robin on the couch.

"No, you're not," Chris replied, flipping the newspaper to the next page.

I was cross. I started feeling worse. I wanted cuddles and pillows and a blanket, not practical words.

But how could I possibly extend the dramatization of my own death on the couch when we were scheduled to launch Pink Dot Hong Kong that same evening? So I blasted my body with cough syrup and pills - 5 kinds of pharmaceutical drugs, all in all - before I started feeling as high as the helium-filled pink balloons I was walking up Lan Kwai Fong with.

Pink Dot is a movement that supports the freedom to love through a pink visibility campaign. It started in Singapore and is now gaining worldwide traction.

The night started with an interview on HK's "Pink Season," with DNA Magazine's correspondent, Tim Cribb, in Psychic Jack. What ensued afterwards was a flurry of pink clouds and pink martinis and pink bubblegum... even pink salami! I was practically floating - from the meds, from plain happiness, from the helium balloons.

Each guest was asked to personalize a pink balloon, which symbolizes their commitment to the Pink Dot campaign.

I gathered all the balloons towards the end of the night and headed towards the iconic Hong Kong Fringe Club.

With my good friend, AD, holding the camera, I gently released the balloons as though to storm the heavens with whispered prayers for the freedom to love. Our Pink Dots lazily caressed the side of skyscrapers, going further and further up until I could see them no more. 

Photobucket
Pink Dot comes to Hong Kong!

Photobucket
Even Bunny is Pink...

Photobucket ...coz tonight, we're all pink!

Photobucket
Hyperactive is Pink!

Photobucket
Tim Cribb's Pink Dot. DNA was here!

Photobucket
Give me your hand.

Photobucket
Love is for everyone!

Photobucket
Mr Gay HK's PR Manager, Joe Leung, says: "Let's Gay Together!"

Photobucket
With my beloved friends, AD & Peter

Photobucket
Husbands Henry & Guy feed each other pink canapes.

Photobucket
OK, Chris and I are sweet, too!

Photobucket
From Left: Psychic Jack's Stephen, Hyperactive, Bono & Jeff (a couple from London who have just relocated to HK) and Holger

Photobucket
Peter and his melancholic clown

Photobucket
Hets are happy to be Pink, too!

Photobucket
And so are Edowan (right),  "Lord Mayor of Gay HK;" and his consort, Michael

Photobucket
Ready?




I am a
Pink Dot



With Affection,
James

Photos & Video by Anshuman Das

No comments: