Wednesday 18 January 2012

Vietnamese Coffee

Photobucket
Just a typical neighbourhood coffee shop in Hanoi, natch.

Photobucket
Why not enjoy erotic art whilst having your caffeine fix?

Photobucket
And while we're at it, why not consider filching one of the coffee shop's menus printed on a vinyl record?

Photobucket
Thick, oily Vietnamese coffee. Mmm
Photobucket
Clearly, there's no such thing as too much caffeine. Chris and I are about to get our afternoon caffeine fix at the Opera House.


Coffee is one of my favourite things about Vietnam. It's a good thing Chris and I only ever have our coffee black, because Vietnamese coffee tastes kinda "ripe" on its own - thicker, sweeter, oily-er, but still giving that satisfyingly bitter edge we've grown addicted to.

Coffee serves are so tiny (typically 6 ounces), I initially felt... violated. Cheated. They look more like an espresso and a half, not even a double. I'm used to drinking two heaping mugs every morning, dammit! But after having had my first cup of Vietnamese coffee, I immediately decided that it's OK to not be too greedy coz it's darn is strong. So strong, it makes the pores on my face vibrate.

I only ever had iced coffee once whilst in Hanoi and Oh.My.God. it was excessively, gloriously, triumphantly sweet. I suspected it had meth in it coz it certainly sent me zooming around the city faster and even more Hyperactive than a souped-upVietnamese motorcycle, happily snapping a pic of everything I saw and leaving other, non-coffee drinking tourists eating my dust.

If Vietnamese coffee became every tourist's fuel for sightseeing, we'd all get to see more of the world.