Tuesday 2 August 2011

Amy Winehouse & Me

Hello, Friends!

The news of Amy Winehouse's death was the single spot of darkness throughout my weeklong birthday celebration.

Sure, Amy was a drunk and a druggie. Sure, she was a hot mess whose time on God's green Earth was obviously limited. Sure, she was beyond saving.

But with her outrageous beehive that reportedly kept many "delights," her lay-it-all-onstage philosophy that revealed all traces of her experiences in her voice, and the sheer power of her unique talent, she was an unarguable musical genius of my generation. And no matter how messy she got, she always - whenever she humanly could - sang live.

Like Amy, I also love the blues. I, too, am a hot mess. I've had a beehive, too, honestly:

Photobucket

Well, it was Fabiola, really, but you get the picture.

Yup, Amy. You and I have had our ugly moments...

Only difference between Amy Winehouse and myself is, I've gone on to channel my hot-mess-ness to hyperactivity. Amy has gone on to the grave.

I was seriously distraught when news of Amy's death greeted me first thing on my actual birthday. Just prior to her death, people had all but dismissed her as a has-been. It's a small triump to see that Amy's records are doing so well once again.

Isn't it a pity that, often, we only realize the true value of something once it's been taken away?

Astron's Top 5 Rundown™ Best of Amy Winehouse:

05 Teach Me Tonight

Saucy, sassy, sexy. Love Amy's slight sneer.

04 Rehab

Classic Amy. Defiant, with that sultry, little dress and blood-red lip.

03 Someone to Watch Over Me

She's my soulmate here. Smooth, expressive, sublime.

02 Valerie
Photobucket
Lookin' like a hot mess, sounding divine and flawless. Should all singers be so naturally talented?

01 Love is a Losing Game

Amy's anthem. This performance broke my heart, and will forever be my enduring memory of Amy Winehouse.

Amy, thank you for the music.

With Affection,
James

No comments: