Monday 5 September 2011

ARMANI / aqua, Hong Kong

Hello, Friends!

Armani is so snobbish, honestly. I mean, I don't even own anything Armani. I used to, but it wasn't proper. Like, it was Armani Exchange - entry-level stuff for high school kids. It was a white long-sleeved top, raw fabric, with (you guessed it) a plunging neckline.

No, wait - I do own something Armani right now. My used and abused Armani Exchange card holder in gunmetal gray leather.

Photobucket

I've only been once ever to Armani Bar in Chater House. My friend, Elmie, was a manager there and she invited me for a visit one slow afternoon. She made one of the bar's signature cocktails for me. Nice place, nice cocktail - I thought. But pretty... dry? I mean, I don't mind snobbish places - I like snobbish places. I'm pretentious like that. Sometimes I am stunned by how much I have to pay for something (like HKD160 for a glass of house wine at a hotel-that-shall-not-be-named) just 'coz I didn't bother asking how much. So, yeah - snobbish is fine if it's coupled with lots of warmth.

My favourite snobbish place ever is aqua on One Peking - the eminent flagship of the aqua empire - not least because it bears the warmth of its fabulous GM, Simon J McKinless. My love for aqua is known far and wide, and my propensity for its snobbish sushi - even more.

So when Simon announced that Armani and aqua would collaborate to create a super colossal restaurant / bar / lounge / events hall / club / terrace in Central, I instantly died.

Indeed, couture meets cuisine.

Of course I finagled an invite to the place's soft opening - in the very first week, natch, back when they were not even taking reservations, still. What, you think I was born yesterday?

And I brought beauty queens with me, of course, because what's the point of ugliness? Trish, my gorgeous best friend; Sara Jane, Miss Philippines 1989; Gem, Miss Philippines 1990; Patty, Miss Philippines 1991; and Rony, a statuesque beauty from Discovery Bay.

Amongst such stratified company - coupled with the impossibly snobbish ultra-opti-maxi-mega-poke-your-eyes-out snobbish, new ARMANI / aqua, I felt like the country bumpkin from Tuguegarao once more. I mean, honestly - when the sushi arrived, I could swear that the fish almost turned their heads away me because I didn't know what the fuck to do... Should I eat? Pray? Or weep? I did all of the above.

And holy shit, the terrace is so massive, you could land a plane on it. No; two planes. Three. We sipped champagne there, because what else is there to do? Go Fish?

Photobucket
Snobbish Sushi

Photobucket
By the bar

Photobucket
HGB™ and beauty queens, all in a row: Sara Jane, Trish, Gem, Patty & Rony

Big thanks to ARMANI / aqua and big love to Simon J McKinless, Harry, and the enviable team of beautiful boys and girls who will no doubt exemplify the highest level of hospitality as can only be expected from two mammoth lifestyle brands.

And of course, big kisses to my beautiful friends - with whom a snobbish experience became one filled with light, love and laughter.



With Affection,
James


ARMANI / aqua
(A) 2/F Chater House, 8 Connaught Road, Central
(T) +852 3583 2828
(W) www.aqua.com.hk

4 comments:

patricia betita said...

Holaaaaa!!!! James!!! it was really a fun night that night i had a blast w you guys, and hopefully when we go back to HK let's do Armani Aqua again, Yaaaaay! Hello to Rony and Trish!!!

When are you guys coming to Manila??? let's go out again!

James Gannaban said...

patty!!! it was a blast! i would have loved to experience the manila of old... giraffe, mars, and the like.

Billy said...

This was FUNNNNNYYY James...you the man. It was like reading a schizophrenic's mind. But honestly, do something about the garish courier text...such a 90's website font...or maybe that's the intention...haha so retro it's cool...

take care..

Billy

James Gannaban said...

Billy!!! thanks for dropping by :)