Thursday 11 August 2011

Dada Hong Kong: Of Equine Proportions

Hello, Friends!

Dada Bar + Lounge is kickass, honestly. I mean, how many entertainment venues in Hong Kong (or in the whole known world!) are inspired by a hugely contentious period in art history?

To the boors amongst us, including myself, Dadaism is a cultural movement that peaked just after World War I due to its timely rejection of war (duh!), of the bourgeoisie, and of the world's infatuation with modernity - which Dada artists considered meaningless.

OK, so what does that say about Dada Bar + Lounge and its brand-new 7-Day Week Wining, Dining & Musical Delights programme? Plenty, mainly: That Dada's offerings are off-the-mainstream track. If you're looking for a sleepy hotel jazz act, move along. Dada's not the place. If you're looking for just another covers show band, move along. Dada's not the place. If you're looking for just another shocking Bar Menu featuring overpriced cocktails and snobbish canapes, move along. Dada's not the place.

Consider: Tonight, I had a cocktail called "Equinox."

I mean, seriously?!

Horses are sexy, I'll have to say. Something about their powerful leg muscles, gleaming coat and noble posture make me feel like, well, an ugly mammal.

What...?

Oh, for a hot minute, I thought we were talking about Equus! So, it's that equinox! My bad.

Anyhoo, I spotted some herbs marinating inside a bottle of Grey Goose, and I was aghast. I mean, that's Grey Goose - it's sacred. You drink it unadulterated.

"Rosemary," Sam Limbu, Dada's affable mixologist, explained nonchalantly. "We make our own infusions for our signature cocktails."

"Show me," I challenged him.

And so that was how I was served Equinox, a cocktail made with rosemary infused Grey Goose, white cacao liqueur, fresh strawberries, and God only knows what else, but - oh.my.God - it was divine. The fresh sweetness of ripe berries and cacao liqueur was perfectly countrpointed by the savoury fragrance of herbs. And the more I sipped the aromatic elixir, the more convinced I became that I, too, was about to be endowed with equine prowess. Yum. Powerful stuff!

So I totally felt like the lead character in Equus, and I'm The Hyperactive Gay Boy™ with a pathological fascination with horses.

If this is what Dadaism is all about, I've become a convert.

With Affection,
James

Photobucket
Oh, Grey Goose! Thou shalt be infused with rosemary!

Photobucket
Equinox? Or Equus?

Photobucket
Blogging + Drinking at Dada Bar + Lounge, with resident mixologist Sam Limbu

No comments: