Wednesday 28 September 2011

Hyperactive Goes Vegetarian

Hello, Friends!

Q: What did the banana say to the vibrator?
A: Why are YOU shaking? He's going to eat ME!

October is Vegetarian Awareness Month. Honestly, I've always liked vegetables well enough and so have felt no compelling urge to go all-out vegetarian. I have no issues with eating the meat of farmed animals. I grew up around chickens, ducks, pigs and goats. In Cagayan, carabaos (Philippine water buffaloes) - when they die of old age - are promptly turned to minced meat for sausage links or any such edible (i.e. useful) purpose. Carabeef, as it was often called, was a delicacy. It was chewy, intense and slightly pungent. I loved it.

But then my friend, Angie, took me to Gaia Veggie Shop yesterday for a mock meat lunch, and I was stunned. I was so... alarmed at how accurately appearance and texture are mimicked - and more so, taste. I was first shocked, then infinitely impressed. This was fabulous, honestly, and quite eye opening. I'm a flavour whore, so my biggest protestation against turning vegetarian had always been - "I don't want to chew on bitter plants, exclusively. I like to keep my options open."

Before yesterday, I didn't quite realize how well vegetarians can eat.

"We're turning vegetarian," I messaged Chris. I then promptly made a booking for 8pm at GVS in Causeway Bay.

When we got there, the place was packed to the rafters. The receptionist was visibly frazzled, pressing the balls of her palms against her temples at the baffling queue of diners demanding a table. Of course I made a booking and was able to get a nice table without having to be thrown into another table occupied by another group which just happened to have two empty seats! So Chris was happy, and I was happy.

Photobucket
Abalone


Photobucket
Eggplant with minced meat


Photobucket
Satay skewers


The highlight of the meal was the satay skewers. They were obscenely thick and juicy (dripping with peanut sauce!) and were perfectly charred on the surface. It was better than the real thing, just honestly. The eggplant with minced pork was nice, too, but that was because the beautiful red chillies elevated the flavour profile of an otherwise OK dish. It was almost a purely vegetable dish, so I wasn't excited very much by it. I like getting my palate walloped with intense everything - it's the Pinoy in me. On the other hand, Chris loved it - he likes food that don't have overwhelming flavours, anyway. The rest of the dishes paled in comparison, especially the abalone, which just felt glue-y and tasted like... condoms.

Service was good, coldly efficient like clockwork. Environment was pleasant enough with warm lighting, well spaced tables and soothing beiges.

Final bill was a bit over HKD300 for 5 dishes, without drinks.


***

Photobucket
Terrace of Farm Kitchen Vegi


Photobucket
It ain't a salad bowl. It's a salad... glass.


Photobucket
Veggies in bamboo steamer


Photobucket
Eggplant. Tee Hee! I swear I'm such a 4-year old!

Photobucket
Fresh produce for sale


Photobucket
Farm Kitchen Vegi's dining hall



Lunch with Adrian and Yan today was at the swish Farm Kitchen Vegi on Cameron Road. The name's a bit misleading coz it's not a vegetarian place. It's just a restaurant that sells fresh produce - and that's nice, too.

The staff and the guests are almost all Japanese. The place is kitted in wood, water and stone elements. Ceiling is high, which is rare in Hong Kong. The main dining hall is sandwiched in between an outdoor terrace and a balcony, which is even rarer, still.

I ordered the steamed vegetable set in bamboo steamer, but it had chicken so I asked if I could have tofu, instead.

Computer says "No."

"We may not have the right kind of tofu for the dish. Would you mind having some more vegetables, instead?" asked Ryu, the nice, young Japanese waiter.

"Sure, just give me more vegetables," I replied.

My meal was nice - I thoroughly enjoyed dunking my steamed veggies in some kind of dark Japanese vinegar. It was full-bodied and slightly sweet, but terrifically sour!

Adrian had something really obscene, like twisty pasta in cream sauce with huge prawns, cuttlefish, etc...

"I'm really surprised you're not tempted to taste my food," said Adrian, who knows how quickly I can inhale a nice slab of char siu.

Yan had the salmon sashimi set, which she said was nice, too. Nope, didn't get me tempted, either, because - duh! - I'm spoiled for salmon! FINDS' celebrity chef Jaakko Sorsa is a good friend!

Our set meal cost an average of HKD75 each, and included a salad served in a tall glass, miso soup, pickled vegetables and a drink. Service charge is added on top.

I am loving my new vegetarian self!

Hyperactive is healthy!

With Affection,
James



Gaia Veggie Shop
(A) 8/F Goldmark, 502 Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
(T) +852 2808 1386



Farm Kitchen Vegi
(A) 2F, The Cameron, 33 Cameron Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
(T) +852 2721 1800

No comments: