Monday 14 March 2011

Mr Gay World 2011 Review, Part 1

Hello, Friends!

Chris and I spent the afternoon making little red flaglets. I had glitter-glue on my face, clothes and hair from making a big "HONG KONG" placard. I wanted to bring some horns, as well, so the Mr Gay HK delegation can make noise every time Heihei comes onstage. But I decided to be prudent. I just brought a little, gold whistle, instead.

"It's just like a '90s circuit party where you're hearing whistles blasting in your ear, and you're constantly smelling poppers," Chris wrinkled his nose.

"I like whistles in dance parties," I replied defensively, "but I never understood poppers on the dance floor. What the fuck is that?"

The Hong Kong delegation consisted of myself - the "project manager," as Caro likes to call me; my boyfriend, Chris; Caro's partner, Lore; Roddy; AD; Stephen and Richard; Simon, Heihei's (ex?) boyfriend; and Disney kids Iroy, Gil and Nina. There were 12 of us, which could have made us the largest foreign delegation this year. We were Team Heihei.

Filipinos know how to put a show together. It was a pageant to end all pageants - hydraulics, LED screens that parted down the middle American Idol-style, drag queens in spectacular performances, live red carpet interview feeds, fantastic video montages completed post-prod mere minutes before the show, everything including the fucking kitchen sink.

I was interviewed on the red carpet and I managed to mention MGHK's sponsors and the Tongzhi Tsai campaign, so that was nice.

The show was hosted by Miss International 2005 Precious Lara Quigaman and model/comedienne Wilma Doesnt.

It opened with a breathtaking Cirque-esque "fire dance" featuring a bevy drag performers from the I-can't-believe-she's-a-man class. Right off the bat, it made me proud to be gay because you don't see this sort of over-the-top spectacle in any other kind of beauty pageant.

The show may have started over an hour later than scheduled, but I just knew we were in for a damn good one. I kicked back with a vodka diet Coke (I know) and promptly got my camera ready.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Team Heihei: Gil, Nina & Iroy

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Karen Loren Agustin, Miss Philippines - Universe 2002

Photobucket
Eric Butter, President, Mr Gay World

Photobucket
Andrew Creagh, Editor-in-Chief, DNA Magazine

Photobucket
Gloria Diaz, Miss Universe 1969

Photobucket
Jorgen Landby, Stylist

Photobucket
Remco Teppema, Publisher, Winq (Netherlands) & Mate (Germany) magazines

Photobucket
Charl Van Den Berg, Mr Gay World 2010

Photobucket
Precious Lara Quigaman, 2005 Miss International

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Precious Lara Quigaman & Wilma Doesnt

Photobucket
Chris Adams, non-hyperactive consort to Asia's Most Hyperactive Gay Boy™



Coming up:
PARADE OF NATIONS

No comments: