Thursday 22 September 2011

Blowing Apolo's (Fish) Head

Hello, Friends!

Ever been served a fish head twice the size of two balled fists?

Fuck that.

Ever seen a fish eye as large as the fucking lense of a Canon 5D?

I saw it all in Banana Leaf Apolo, Singapore.

No, that's not a type. The restaurant's so fierce, it casually dropped the one "L" - pretty much like Barbra dropped the one "A." That's ferocious.

True to the spacecraft after which the restaurant was named, this fish head was mutant. Like, it was large - it's larger than I can ever explain. And the eye was so mutant, honestly. It should have been a blue whale's eye because it was so darn large, except it was just an innocuous fish's. How dope is that? What were they friggin' snorting in Little India? Damn, I want some. In fact, I got some.

So, this was one of the food pilgrimages that my good friend, Johan, promised we'd do - along with chili crab in Ang Mo Kio, carrot cake in China Town, and of course laksa in just about Bumfuck, Everywhere.

Indian food is heavy with sauces, to begin with, anyway! But we had to wait such a long time to be given a table, in the end we decided that we were OK to be served in the waiting area because we were so darn hungry. The moment food started arriving, we just pounded down the papadoms (sinfully crispy - like Pringles, honestly!) and roti like there was no tomorrow. I mean, seriously, it felt so... quaint to have been eating from banana leaves but also mildly... pretentious (for lack of a better word. I'm clutching at straws here) because hey, there was just so much food, we could have fed a small, impoverished village for at least three weeks! There is so much injustice in the world, right? I felt Catholic guilt crawling all over my flesh, but then creamy curry just started seeping into my arteries. And then I was feeling good. Aaargh!

So anyway, we all promptly went into a food coma. Overeating is the just sort of awful activity where the "How can it be wrong when it feels so right?" refrain applies.

I can't wait to go back.




With Affection,
James




Photobucket
Ganesh watches over us

Photobucket
Food Coma, Inc.

Photobucket
Johan gesticulates wildly all over the menu

Photobucket
This was candid.

Photobucket
Please, Sir. I want some more.

Photobucket
"I took the fucking bait!"

Photobucket
Fish eye with the veins still hanging.


Photobucket
Banana Leaf Apollo, Little India







The Banana Leaf Apolo
(A) 48 Serangoon Road, 1-32 Little India Arcade, Singapore
(T) +65 6297 1595
(E) thebananaleafapolo.com

No comments: