Wednesday 26 October 2011

An Invincible Truth

Hello, Friends!

I felt like Norma Desmond about to break into "As If We Never Said Goodbye" on my first day of rehearsal for "An Invincible Truth."

Not counting my monthly turn at the microphone to do Lucky Draw at Fruits in Suits, I have been absent from the stage for years. So when my dear friend Allen Lam invited me to be in a show which he's headlining with Tony Wong at the Cultural Centre,I immediately said yes.

"An Invincible Truth" sounds - what else? - invincible! Formidable, really, like "An Inconvenient Truth," Al Gore's seminal documentary on climate change. That's why I was quite intrigued when, instead of frightening images of homophobia, I saw provocative press photos of two beautiful brown bodies draped invitingly on rumpled white bed sheets. Yum.

"An Invincible Truth" is a movement piece in 10 scenes about what it means to be gay in Hong Kong. Now, that sounds like such a broad topic - and it is, that's why the dramatic vocabulary extends to song and soliloquy.

There's a scene on homophobic bullying, and honestly when I saw it for the first time, I couldn't take any more photos - my hands were shaking so bad.

There's also a scene about Grindr, another about a chatty mum spilling her guts out whilst on a massage chair, etc.

It's a rich collage that mirrors who we are, right now.

See you at the theatre!



With Affection,
James

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Are these... Fabiola's dancing shoes?

Photobucket

WHERE 地點
Hong Kong Cultural Centre Studio Theatre, 10 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon 香港文化中心劇場

WHEN 時間
03 ~ 06 Nov at 8:00pm; 05 ~ 06 Nov at 3:00pm

Tickets 票價
HK$240*, HK$180 (Discount tickets available for the elderly, the disabled and full-time students. Tickets apply for all aged 6 and above.)
+852 2734 9009 for Ticketing enquiries
+852 2111 5999 for Credit Card Purchase
Click on urbtix.hk for online ticket booking


Photobucket
"Meet James Gannaban. Cute," it says on Tony's Facebook Page.

No comments: