Monday 28 January 2013

THE PANTRY

james gannaban


V was meant to join Mr Gay Hong 2010.

He pulled out.

"Why?" I asked.

"When I came back to my desk after lunch," V explained, "someone had scrawled FAGGOT on my desktop screen. I gotta quit. It's just not worth it."

I was heartbroken, of course. I wanted to challenge him, "If you have not yet learnt how to stand up for yourself, how can you expect other people to give you the respect you think you deserve?"

Sure, there are some industries that are more hospitable of LGBT professionals. This guy, however, worked  in a bank. "I earn way too much money," V puffed. "I can't jinx my position."

He was far too cowardly to stand up to his colleagues. I realized, there was no way this guy would be able to stand up on the Mr Gay Hong Kong stage as an out and proud gay man. I was relieved for him to have withdrawn his application. Clearly - but unbeknownst to him - he has some personal issues that need to be resolved.

Although being gay is becoming more and more mainstream, internalized homophobia is a pestilence that hasn't eased up one bit on the LGBT community.

Sometimes, our biggest enemies are ourselves.

AD Media shows us the darkness that lurks within. "The Pantry" is the first in a series of short films aimed at exposing various kinds of discrimination.

Hyperactive and Mr Gay Hong Kong are honoured to be part of this meaningful project.







 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But you have to also understand where he is coming from. I was there and it is not an easy place. You say “Sometimes, our biggest enemies are ourselves”. Yes I get that but you must ask yourself how you got to where you are. I would say “Sometimes, our biggest enemies are other gay guys who just don’t understand or don’t want to understand where WE are coming from”