Wednesday 20 March 2013

RETURN TO CHI MA WAN

joe lam chris adams photo IMG_6013_zps716e447a.jpg
JOE AND CHRIS SLAP ON THE SPF.
joe lam caroline manchoulas photo IMG_6023_zps797b17f1.jpg
JOE AND CARO LEAD THE WAY.
 photo IMG_6036_zpseb2b0e59.jpg
GROUP PHOTO ON SELF-TIMER!
MUI WO photo IMG_6038_zps1ef19598.jpg
WALKING ALONG THE COAST.
 photo IMG_6046_zps15205b43.jpg
JUST ANOTHER ABANDONED HOUSE.
pui o photo IMG_6054_zps90835e29.jpg
AND ANOTHER.
pui o photo IMG_6055_zps48451763.jpg
THE MIDDAY SUN POUNDS DOWN ON CHRIS AND CARO.
pui o photo IMG_6069_zps919e9d11.jpg
LOOK- A BOAT! WE SIMPLY MUST HAVE A PIC.
pui o photo IMG_6065_zpsa594ef7e.jpg
...AND A PIC WITH THE TRACTOR, TOO!
chi ma wan photo IMG_6077_zps1f04e4f4.jpg
PRETTY FLOWERS BLOOMING THROUGH GNARLY BRANCHES.
chi ma wan photo IMG_6078_zps6c54a0ac.jpg
LUNCH BREAK OVERLOOKING THE CHI MA WAN RESERVOIR.


Chris, Caroline, Joe and I were meant to hike 16k from Shek Pik to Tai O. Unfortunately all buses from Mui Wo were full of grown-up people in funny costumes - starfish, cows, bears. There were some not-so-funny costumes, too - mermaid, pirates, etc. Just generally lacking a sense of fun and adventure. I mean if you're gonna look silly anyway, make sure go there.

But I digress.

The costumed crowd were off to do a "Beer Run," I later found out.

"What's that?" I asked my friend, Daren, who had also decided to do the run but sans costume. Instead he had brought along his little boy.

"Beer Dash. We run 1k," Daren explained, "then we down a pint. Then we do it all over again until we get to the finish point."

Awesome.

Only thing was, it threw a wrench into our planned hike because the next bus to where we wanted to start off on our 16k wasn't until 45 minutes later. I was getting more annoyed by the minute, especially after the man behind me in the queue spilled coffee on my rucksack. Bitch.

"Let's go someplace else," I growled. I was turning into a monster. Perhaps the most logical course for me, then, was to have gone along with the Beer Dash. I'm sure I would have fit right in.

Chris, sensing my darkening mood, led us towards the start of the Pui O - Chi Ma Wan trail.

It was something we had already done before, but I hardly cared.

The midday sun was scorching.

I just wanted to get started.









No comments: