Friday 1 March 2013

TRAINSPOTTING IN OSAKA

james osaka namba photo IMG_5355_zps34598e09.jpg
A NUMPTY IN NAMBA.
osaka train station photo IMG_5360_zps75305b7d.jpg
WHICH COINS TO USE?
WHICH BUTTONS TO PUSH?
chris adams and emma hammonds photo IMG_5362_zps40c32636.jpg
THE BEAUTIFUL SMILES BELIE THE CHALLENGES OF NAVIGATING OSAKA'S DIZZYING SUBWAY NETWORK.
chris adams and emma hammonds photo IMG_5366_zps792f7e31.jpg
REALITY SETS IN.
james gannaban photo IMG_5373_zps2163aa56.jpg
SLEEPY?
DRINK WONDA WONDERFUL COFFEE.
osaka photo IMG_5375_zps30132cec.jpg
MADE IT TO OUR DESTINATION!


Our first night in Osaka was a tragicomedy that involved a bottle of Bombay's Sapphire gin in our cute room at Best Western Shinsaibashi, some really terrible "kerosene chicken" (because Emma and Chris refused to eat raw chicken - duh!) in an unknown Japanese eatery, and me leaving said eatery in a huff. Drunk, angry, hungry, lost, and without a yen to my name.

I think I might have wandered off to find a money changer; all I had was a few Hong Kong dollar bills. Lucky me, the currency exchange counter in Daimaru had already closed and I had no choice but to find my way back to our toybox of a hotel room. Emma and Chris walked in a few minutes later with a "peace offering" - a Sapporo Beer King Can. We drank some more amid what seemed to us then like gut-wrenching discussion.

"Speak to him, Ems," Chris implored. "You're much better at it than I am!"

"You have to promise," Emma insisted, "that what we spoke about tonight will stay in this room will never be spoken about again."

"I promise," I said.

"Good," she sighed. "God, gin such a downer!"

I was practically blind the next day. I think I might have flushed my contact lenses down the drain the previous night - but who knows what might have truly happened??

The entire morning was drenched in blazing sunshine, with but just a few clouds to soften the assault. We struggled with Osaka's tangled network of subway lines. I suspect it was exactly what we needed to clear the previous night's cobwebs away.








No comments: