Sunday 3 February 2013

PETROGLYPHS AT FAT TONG MUN

Photobucket Photobucket PETROGLYPHS TUNG LUNG CHAU Photobucket


Petroglyphs are images created by removing parts of a rock surface by incising, picking, carving, and abrading. Basically, a petroglyph is just a fancy term for really old rock carvings that are often associated with prehistoric people.

When Chris and I followed the sign posts towards petroglyphs in Fat Tong Mun, we didn't know that we'd have to take hundreds of steps going down. We wish we had known; our knees were wobbly from having already hiked hours prior.

"How many steps you think from top to bottom?" I panted.

"Dunno... I'm guessing 600," Chris grimaced as we turned a corner to encounter seemingly infinite steps ahead.

The petroglyphs were located just a few paces away from the water. The image was composed of complicated, tortuous lines meant to evoke a dragon. I couldn't see the dragon, no matter how far to the side I twisted my neck or how hard I squinted. Measuring 180 x 240 centimetres, it is the largest rock carving in Hong Kong. But I still couldn't see the dragon, which was annoying.

On our way back up, I counted 463 steps; Chris counted 470.




No comments: