Tuesday 16 July 2013

CAN WE JUST STOP & TALK AWHILE?


The last week wasn't just a whirlwind of Hyperactive events; it was an HI (10) Tornado, where Hyperactive Intensity is calculated as follows:

HI = DW / NEo x nSH
(NEo +/+ NEp) A ^ S


That's days of the week (7) divided by number of events organized (2), multiplied by net sleeping hours (5).

The most volatile variable here, of course is NEo, which isn't always indicative of NEp (number of events participated in). In most cases, NEo and NEp are inversely proportional. After all, DW (days of the week) is a constant. The more events you organize, the less time you have to allocate to events you participate in. In my case, however, NEo and NEp are directly proportional - especially since nSH follows the Law of Diminishing Returns. It's only by keeping NEo and NEp parallel on the HI graph am I able to keep producing the amounts of A (adrenaline) required to secure a high S (success) rate.


 photo IMG_6188_zps1d3fa300.jpg
THE QUEEN'S SILVER
 photo IMG_6200_zps4f5ef45a.jpg
BEFORE HK1K
AN EMPTY OPEN-AIR LOT
 photo IMG_6254_zps77cfd5eb.jpg
DURING HK1K
WITH MODEL HELENA CHAN
AND COLUMNIST YALUN TU IN THE BACK
 photo IMG_6264_zpsbc71e8ea.jpg
AFTER HK1K
AFTER-PARTY AT MAGNUM

I organized HK1K, HK Mag's 1,000th issue pop-up "Hong Kong Hipsters" block party, on an empty lot in Fashion Walk. The event required the support of over 20 brand partners, over 100 support staff (technicians, stage managers, gophers, security, chefs, waiters and bartenders, door bitches, interns, photographers... and so on), managed through 5 Google Docs (guest list, contact sheet, rundown, budget, script and show flow), and mobilized via 5 buses, to pull off.

It wasn't perfect, but it was awesome. I think I did awesome... I'm my own biggest critic. So many things could have gone wrong. But so many things were OK, I'm tearful with gratitude to everyone who had in hand in making it a success. Also, my mom's 9-day novena before the event obviously worked! Thank you Mommy, and thank you God.


 photo IMG_6327_zpsd2203ed6.jpg
KEEP IT MOVIN'!
 photo IMG_6269_zps65bc6c7b.jpg
MANILA
 photo IMG_6272_zps2b19a538.jpg
KARE-KARE
 photo IMG_6275_zpsbecf57cf.jpg
HYPERACTIVE AND A BEVY OF BEAUTIFUL AUNTIES
 photo IMG_6309_zpse21c0448.jpg
#HYPRFAMOUSFLOORS
THE PENTHOUSE IN THE GREEN LOUNGE
ORTIGAS, MANILA
 photo IMG_6322_zps07723be5.jpg
WITH MY BEAUTEOUS BABY SISTER, LOREN

As if that wasn't enough, I had an 8am flight to Manila immediately following HK1K, for Destination, I Do! - the highly conceptual wedding of my cousin, Mark, to his lady love, Abbey.

Upon my arrival in Manila, my youngest sister, Loren, speed-ironed my barong Tagalog and dress pants whilst I greedily gulped honey lemon water, multivitamins and a whole pot of kare-kare. I knew I had to make an effort to be fit for public consumption. I was hoarse, exhausted and sleepy, which is unfair because my family deserves to have the best of Hyperactive.

The wedding invites were mock passports, the guest cards were baggage tags, the tables' centerpieces were each inspired by a dreamy destination, the cake was a stack of luggages rendered in fondant, and of course, the entire thing was MC'd by Hyperactive. At one point, I had to grab my cousin, Boyang, to share hosting duties. I was simply too hoarse to be coherent. It would suck for Mark and Abbey look back to their wedding reception and remember only that I sounded like a broken accordion.

Luckily the happy couple seemed to guess that I might be at less than my usual 150%, and so they had a Starbucks concession especially licensed to operate at their wedding reception. They're coffee lovers, you see. Naturally, they want their guests to have free access to a caffeine fix. Of course.   

I got back to the hotel at 1.30am, by which time I figured it'd be futile to sleep and risk missing my 7am flight back to Hong Kong. In Manila, if something could go wrong, it will. So my sister, Loren and I, simply called for massages.

I was back in Hong Kong less than 24 hours after I left - too exhausted to even be aghast at the explosion of event detritus all over my flat.


 photo IMG_6332_zps14218b3a.jpg
BACK IN HK,
LAUNDRY AND A MESSY FLAT YELLED FOR ATTENTION.
 photo Photoon2013-07-15at09272_zpsc715f5d6.jpg
DID ALL THAT JUST FUCKING HAPPEN?!

Clearly, there had just been a Hyperactive Intensity 10 Tornado.

I dutifully scrubbed and laundered and sprayed and cleaned.

Last Thursday was dinner with the British Consul General. Next Thursday is the Guest List event at Volume HEAT. And then Mr Gay HK's send-off for Mr Gay World, and my birthday. Somewhere in there, I have to squeeze a reading for The Maids. And I mustn't forgo my regular workouts, of course, because Chris is arriving next week.

July is stupid!

I am sleepless, restless and running purely on adrenaline.

And I'm still going.

Where I'm now pulling energy from, I can't even tell any more.

Can we just stop and talk a while?



FUNNILY ENOUGH, THIS SONG WAS USED FOR A COFEE TVC DECADES AGO...
 
// GET HYPERACTIVE! //










No comments: