Monday 28 March 2011

Sundays with Peter

Hello, Friends!

"As I'm packing my things into boxes," Peter mused, "I can't help but wonder if I've really accomplished anything."

"OK, I can't stand it any more," I exhaled. "I have to Google you."

I grabbed my computer, typed in "peter moss hong kong," and was stunned with what I found. Tons of glowing reviews, all from "marquee" publications! Thank goodness I'm so dark, nobody could see that I was blushing from embarrassment.

Peter Moss is an Anglo-Indian writer who happened to be in India in '47, Malaya in '57 and Hong Kong in '97. Fortuitous timing, if you're wanting to write a book, and Peter did better. He wrote quite a few, chronicling his "journey through the twilight of empire." It's appropriately grand - like the Lord of the Rings trilogy, without the Frodo - Sam ambiguity. This journey is explicitly told through the eyes of a gay man.  

"I still remember the Hong Kong witch hunts of the 80s," Peter Moss narrated as Peter Sargant, Kathryn Brogan and I hungrily tucked into the antipasti platter at Cafe Roma.

Apparently, it hasn't been so long ago that homosexuality was decriminalized in Hong Kong. And here I am, screaming my head off in my typical Hyperactive™ way - as though I'm entitled to the world. Shame. The lack of struggle deprives my generation of homosexuals of depth. Instead of being able to write a tome with serious gravitas, I have to content my readers with blog-fluff. Art vs. Entertainment? No dice. I haven't got any particular insight. I'm just having fun. Art wins. Peter Moss is legit. He's the real deal. Me, I'm chopped liver. 

And so Peter Moss took us further inland, toward the 4-level home that he had just sold. He served us 3-in-1 Malaysian coffee, which Kathryn swore was speedy. But, it might not have been the coffee that made us Hyperactive™. It was Peter's DVD collection - sorry, library is the more appropriate word - which he gave us permission to raid. "Take what you want," he invited.

Peter Sargant took armloads of classical music, Kathryn hunted down old Tarzan movies, and I collected every gay title I saw, including all costume dramas of the "Rome" persuasion.

"Here," Peter Moss handed me a familiar case. It was "Burlesk King" - a perfect example of crappy Pinoy junk that somehow makes it to international film festivals.

Peter's home - the shadow of a life well lived in Hong Kong, was a mere warehouse of boxes and packing tape when we left.

We didn't just leave with DVDs. We left with Peter Moss' gift of story.

As I walked with Peter Sargant and Kathryn back to the pier, I, too, realized that much as I love this city, this is not my final destination.

Where will I be when I become Asia's Most Hyperactive Gay Geriatric™?

With Affection,
James

Peter Moss


Photobucket

My stack of goodies from Peter Moss

Photobucket

Favourite line: "I may be damaged goods, but I'm goods nonetheless!" (hair flip)

No comments: